Winter is the time of year when our bodies are more vulnerable to illness. The colder weather means we’re indoors more often, which can lead to us picking up viruses from other people. And if we don’t take care of ourselves, we can end up feeling rundown and exhausted. So how can we stay healthy this winter? Here are 7 tips:
1. Get a flu shot. This is the single best thing you can do to protect yourself from getting sick this winter. The flu shot won’t protect you from every virus out there, but it will help you avoid the flu, which can be dangerous for some people. If you’re over 65, pregnant, or have a chronic health condition, you should get the flu shot as soon as it’s available.
2. Wash your hands regularly and often. One of the easiest ways to pick up a virus is by touching something that someone else who is sick has touched. To avoid getting sick, make sure you’re washing your hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water.
3. Don’t share utensils or cups with other people. If you’re sharing food or drinks with someone else, there’s a chance you could share germs as well. To avoid getting sick, use your own utensils and cups and don’t share with others.
4. Disinfect surfaces in your home. Another way you can pick up a virus is by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. To avoid this, make sure you’re regularly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in your home, especially if someone in your household is sick.
5. Eat healthy foods and stay hydrated. Eating healthy foods helps boost your immune system so that it’s better able to fight off infections. Make sure you’re eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and dairy. And drink plenty of fluids throughout the day to stay hydrated—water is best but herbal tea and juice are also good options.
6. Get enough sleep. When you don’t get enough sleep, your immune system isn’t able to function as well. Make sure you’re getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
7. Stay active. Exercise helps boost your immune system by increasing blood flow, which allows your body to better fight off infection. It’s important to find an activity that you enjoy so that you’ll be more likely to stick with it. Even just going for a walk around the block each day can make a big difference.
By following these 7 tips, you’ll be giving yourself the best possible chance of staying healthy this winter season!